Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"Be careful, they stone intellectuals in this town."

Tom Rudolf, of the Anitquarium Book Store said those words to me about 12 years ago after I purchased a copy of 'The Tropic of Cancer' from him and it has always stuck with me. In fact, I made a t-shirt of it and used to wear it when I worked at La Buvette. Hilarious, because it says "BE CAREFUL" on the front which sends the perfect message to patrons and the Buv. Proceed with caution, because these waiter bite!

Today, I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours with Tom in the relocated Antiquarium in Brownville NE. I am an absolute junky for his rare book collection, his beat writing collection and his literary journals. Heavenly.

Here is what I picked up, if you are looking for a Summer loaner!

Indian Journals Allen Ginsberg
Suppressed Books Alec Craig
A Passage to India E.M. Forster
The Devil Three Jerzy Kosinski
Women of the Beat Generation Brenda Knight
and! a 1924 printing of The Ballad of Reading Gaol  Oscar Wilde

I didn't do too bad, I think:) On the indie-book track, I founder out there is an writers conference in Brownville this September. I will definitely be making an effort to attend that event. If the event is a drag, I can always spend my time basking in the shelves at the Antiquarium and shooting the philosophical shit with Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment