Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Where do you write?


Here is a little snapshot of my writing desk. This is the second location of my desk. It used to be in a little office and I almost never went in there. There was something way too pompish about the office, so I moved the desk into my dining room, in hopes of re-energizing the spot.

Fail.

My house is soon to be transitioning, again. Moving back into a larger bedroom and I am moving my desk with me. Not sure what I am trying to force here. Habit? discipline? Progress? I have a firm idea, or at a least setting of where my next writing project will take place. Hoping this Summer will be fruitful creatively and I can transition somewhat from my flaccid self-promotion campaign and finally start working on the next project.

Writing is strange though. I definitely carve writing-time out of the desiccated husk of my 'free time'. Usually, I find myself in the kitchen, or at the dining room table, a coffee shop... basically any other space then the one I set out to write in. I like my desk. I like my stuff. Its all pretty welcoming. Don't write there.

Perhaps the struggle is less about a writing desk, and more about where I feel home. Home has been dense and difficult for me to navigate the last several years. I am trying to put the best foot forward, but only clouds ahead. Which is to say, low visibility.

Where do you write I wonder? Do you have a special pen? A journal? I've written in a dozen different forms and formats and have developed no stuck behavior. No special objects. I guess there is no thing, no magic to summon the words. They just build themselves in a little house of cards and come tumbling down when they're ready. Who am I to go flinging marbles into things?

No comments:

Post a Comment