Sunday, March 3, 2013

DIY

A month has past since the release of my novel. Since then, I have printed up a slew of bookmarks for promotional material, attended a authors' fair at the Omaha public library, submitted the novel to four new-fiction literary contests and for the first few weeks at least, obsessively watched my amazon and iTunes sales.

The result of all this has been a little underwhelming. As much as I would like to say I had realistic expectations, there is always that hope that your project might have palpable and immediate success. The disappointment didn't last though:) if I have learned anything during my haphazard career, it is how to accept the delay of gratification.

Today, I am committing to laying out the next list of to-dos, the top of which is to stay on top of my blog and social media. I think the success you can expect from any creative project is mitigating largely by the momentum (cultural, social, personal) you can build around it.

I am blogging from the local Barnes & Noble bookstore. Knowing that my novel is available on nook and any one of these readers could find it and reading it, is an interesting thought. From a sales prospective however, my nook release has yielded zero sales. This store is full of people looking for an interesting read and my novel is available but invisible. In spite of the fact that my novel is available, I also know that if I laid out a few of my bookmarks, as soon as a staff member discovered them, they would be thrown away.

Meh, I just dropped a couple in the coffee shop. I feel like I just vandalized the place!

It is time to meditate on what my goals are and how I can achieve them, baby step by baby step.
I have to work locally first... And then broaden my view from there. Unless of course, someone else has a different strategy to offer:) The journey of an indie author continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment