Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Umm... Will you tell me a little about me?

So how do you ask someone to give you a review? AKWARD! Self promotion is the WORST. Give me a boat full of strangers and 15 minutes with each person and I will hit the streets to get each of them a job, an apartment, an elected position, whatever they need. That is is the hard part of this, working for yourself. I would really prefer to do anything rather then work for my own self interest.

Perhaps you, like me, want one thing badly enough to face this monster, this self loathing, this fear of self... you want people to read your book. Even better, it would be nice for amazon or iTunes or anyone, a reviewer, a publisher whatever to read it, and even like it... and the end of the day it boils down to the same outcome, people reading your book.

Yes, I am still plugging away, reading blogs and newsletters, anything I can get my hands on. Indie publishing is a puzzle everyone is trying to fix. This simple fact kind of levels the playing field and that is a consolation.

So, one thing at a time! User reviews. From where I am sitting, this is the single most important thing you can do in the first six months. Establishing a strong user review base is what any future momentum is going to be built on. Eat the mustard, look one ring outside of your inner circle and do everything in your power to leverage reviews. This is where I feel it is most useful to give your book away from free.

I am working hard on getting a print release of my book so I can do this more effectively. Because I don't have a print edition, I haven't been able to send my novel to local reviewers. Getting this local review is really important but I believe with the user reviews, all the potential traffic directed to your book will have that extra push.

And that is my two wheat pennies for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment